As well as listing how the major restaurant guides rate the top restaurants in the UK and Ireland, we also like to indulge our love of food by visiting restaurants of all levels in the UK. Below you will find independent and unbiased reviews of some of the restaurants we have visited.
A Word About Our Reviews
- Restaurants are awarded on a full 0-5 scale; 0 being terrible and 5 being outstanding (but not necessarily perfect). Although we visit a wide range of restaurants, we are not professional food critics by any stretch, so please don't be offended if your restaurant doesn't score a 5.
- Our reviews are based on a number of factors; food, service, value, enjoyment and fulfilment of our expectations (based on current/expected restaurant guide scores) are key to the overall rating we award. It's this balance that allows us, for example, to award top marks to both a 3 Michelin Star world-class restaurant and a 2 AA Rosette bistro.
- Rather than go through course by course with a photo and explanation, we try and capture the essence of the restaurant itself with our reviews. Naturally the quality of the food served is absolutely key, but there's more to every restaurant than just the food.
- To help give a fuller perspective of what a restaurant offers, often we'll review restaurants whilst with children and non-drinkers.
- We like to review anonymously and not taking pictures of each course makes this easier to accomplish. If you see someone on the next table snapping various angles of every course, please rest assured, that's not us.
- Unlike a lot of restaurant review sites, we do of course pay for all meals out of our own pockets. Makes a difference.
- Unlike restaurant guides which often base awards on multiple visits, we try to base our review on one visit, even if we've visited that restaurant previously.